Old news made new for the new year! On January 8, 2014 the lead food article on the front page of the “Food & Drink” section of the Arizona Republic was A Good Egg. The subtitle was “Versatile omelet a simple, filling meal, any time of day.”
The article began “Omelets, with their sunny and chameleon-like nature, offer the perfect antidote to holiday excess.”
The bulk of the article gave benefit after benefit of eating eggs as a meal or snack. Here are some of the main ones:
- Endless possibilities for fillings like veggies, beans, cheese, tapenade, leftovers, etc.
- Easy-to-prepare even for novice cooks
- Can be made for any meal
- Can be customized to different tastes and styles
- Nutritious with a lot less cholesterol than previously thought
- Nutritious with protein, vitamins A & D, folic acid, and calcium
- Low in calories – about 75
NOTE: The government’s latest dietary guidelines allow for an egg a day.
February! The Month of the Heart
With all of today’s concern about health problems including cholesterol and calories, the egg presents a great meal alternative. Knowing that the government’s latest dietary guidelines allow for an egg a day is helpful too.